TREE SYMPOSIUM & GREAT GREEN GIVE AWAY
Hosted by Abita Springs Friends of the Park
In conjunction with Town of Abita Springs and the Abita Springs Farmer’s Market
Sponsored by Apache Corporation- granted us hundreds of native trees to give away!
SUNDAY, MARCH 17, 2019
12:00 pm - 3:00 PM
A nonprofit citizen run 501c3 founded in 2007 with the intent of: identifying, funding and implementing green space improvements and initiatives in the Town of Abita Springs. FOP also promotes and provides healthful activities and cultural programs that collectively enrich the lives of the community.
This year’s event is a scaled back version of our Abita Earth Fest which we have hosted for the last 10 years.We have many new board members and anticipate ramping up to a full scale festival in the future, but this year we have decided to scale it back to our core mission and make the focus on trees and celebrate Arbor Day.
This year’s event will feature:
1. Mayor, Dan Curtis will kick off the event by reading our Town Arbor Day Proclamation which promotes our dedication and interest in being good environmental stewards and also helps to fulfill our Tree City USA status.
2. 200 native trees (3-5 gallon) will be given away FREE to attendees – one per household. Compliments of Apache Corporation. We wrote a grant to receive the funds and will be working with Jenkins Nursery in Amite to fill the order locally. They specialize in native trees and we always find some interesting selections from Margi-Ann Jenkins. Master gardeners will be on-hand to help people select which trees would be best for their home environments.
3. We will also be giving away free cypress saplingswhich were grown by a local school teacher and her students. They grow them each year and decided to gift them to FOP so we can disperse them to anyone who wants to see them thrive.
4. There will be a variety of expert speakers, see the schedule below. The format will be more of an informal interviews which encourages questions from the audience. Folks seem to have enjoyed this last year, so we are trying it again to keep everyone engaged.
5. Every year we get thekidsinvolved by letting them join in the fun. We will plant perennials and herbsin the playground and refresh the planters that surround the Splash Pad.
6. The Abita Art and Farmer’s Marketwill be happening from 12-4 , so there will be plenty of locally grown or produced products, food, and beverages to choose from.
7. Live Musicby local musicians the Lo Amps and Flying Vaughan’s!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
12:00 Mayor and FOP Introduction and Proclamation
12:15 Doug Hill Prescribed Fire and Long Leaf Pine
12:35 Irene Damby Goat husbandry and benefits
12:55 Sam Porter Growing edible sprouts
1:15 Musical Intermission with The Flying Vaughans
1:40 Adrian Juttner Chestnut Trees Past and Future
2:00 John Grimm Camellias as Substory Trees
2:20 Donata Henry Music by Lo Amps and Tree give away
2:40 Music & FOP Tree giveaway and close
For those who wish to get involved, contact is website: abitafriendsofthepark.com
Always looking for sponsors and volunteers to help us bring FREE community events to our Town.
Check our website and FB for updates on speakers and available trees!!!